We are pleased to provide an exciting update on the progress of our carbon offset project generated by tourism, in line with our planned schedule. To date, we have achieved significant milestones that bring us closer to our environmental and educational goals.
If you're not familiar with this project, you can learn more about it by clicking on the following link:
If you're already familiar with this project, Here, we present a summary of our activities and key achievements!
- Funds Received: On February 12, 2023, we received the long-awaited donation, officially marking the start of the project's activities. This financial support has enabled us to drive our initiatives forward and continue our valuable work.
- Hiring an Instructor: We are pleased to announce that we have hired Mr. Patricio Naranjo, a highly qualified professional with extensive experience in Agroecology and the Environment. Mr. Naranjo is joining our team as an instructor to conduct training sessions at our school. His extensive knowledge and teaching skills will ensure an enriching educational experience for all participants.
- Training Content: We have carefully defined and prepared the training session content, scheduled for the last week of August. Our topics have been specifically tailored to the needs and interests of the various stakeholder groups. We have ensured that these sessions are informative, engaging, and aligned with the overall project goals.
- Greenhouse Inauguration: We are thrilled to announce that the greenhouse was officially inaugurated on June 9, 2023! After a meticulous construction and equipping process, this space has become a conducive environment for hands-on learning and the application of sustainable farming techniques. The attached photographs at the end of this article capture the beauty and success of our greenhouse.
- Commencement of Productive Activities: In this exciting step forward, we have initiated the process of germinating various seeds in the greenhouse. Our aim is to obtain healthy seedlings that will be transplanted in December. This advancement marks a significant milestone in our project, bringing us closer to the crucial stage of planting and cultivating the plants.
- Tree Planting in Galápagos: As part of our participatory approach, we offer all visitors to the highlands of Santa Cruz the opportunity to personally plant a tree. We are pleased to report that several groups have already had the opportunity to actively contribute to this reforestation effort. Soon, we will share photographs capturing those special moments.
- Certificates for Participants: To recognize and thank travelers who have visited Ecuador through Kimkim, we have issued a total of 133 certificates. These certificates guarantee that a tree will be planted on behalf of each traveler, showcasing their valuable contribution to this environmental project.
- Sponsor Visits:
On August 24, 2023, we welcomed two distinguished representatives from the sponsors who have tirelessly supported our project. The purpose of their visit was to allow them to witness firsthand the remarkable results achieved to date through their generous investment. We were honored to have the presence of Daniel Larrea, representing Kimkim, and María Paula Erazo, representing Responsible Travel.
During their visit, the distinguished guests had the opportunity to witness the achievements in our project, including the successful operation of the greenhouse.
Currently, the greenhouse is in full production and use. They also had the chance to observe the operation of the nursery where the species intended for the reforestation project are nurtured and protected. Furthermore, they witnessed the active involvement of the students, who utilize the facilities and are deeply engaged in their learning process.
The warmth and hospitality of our students and the educational authorities were evident throughout the visit. Finally, they were shown the land that had been devastated by the 2019 fire, which is scheduled to be rehabilitated through tree planting in December 2023, thanks to the invaluable support of our sponsors.
- Environmental Education Talks: On August 25th, two highly successful environmental education talks were held at the Miguel Antoliano Salinas Educational Unit, targeting children, adolescents, and community members. These enriching talks covered fundamental topics for the conservation of our local flora and fauna, highlighting the factors threatening their survival, emphasizing the crucial importance of conservation, and providing practical ways to reduce our environmental impact. These activities had a positive impact on a total of 50 elementary school children, 49 high school students, 15 dedicated teachers, and 6 community representatives. In addition to the valuable information shared, school supplies were distributed to all students, and a small refreshment was provided, fostering an environment of enriching and collaborative learning.
We take pride in the progress we have achieved so far and want to thank everyone involved for their continued support in initiatives like these to offset carbon footprint.Our team is committed to continuing to work hard to meet our goals and preserve the natural beauty of Galápagos.
Stay tuned for future updates as we continue on our journey towards successful reforestation and a sustainable future!